By Whole Foods Market
Serves 6 to 8
This Middle Eastern salad stuffed with fresh herbs and then drizzled with bright lemon dressing spiked with ground sumac. Toasted pita gives the salad a nice crunch.
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, crushed with a press
- 1 1/4 teaspoon ground sumac
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- Pinch ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups shredded romaine lettuce (about 1 large head romaine)
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 pita breads, toasted and broken into bite-size pieces
In a large bowl, whisk together lemon juice, garlic, sumac, salt, coriander and pepper. Whisk in oil in a slow, steady stream until blended.
Add romaine, mint, parsley, tomatoes, radishes, green onions, cucumber and toasted pita, and toss until blended. Serve immediately.
Per Serving: Serving size: about 1 1/2 cups, 170 calories (100 from fat), 11g total fat, 1.5g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 270mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (2g dietary fiber, 3g sugar), 3g protein