This homemade hummus makes an absolutely delicious dip, perfect for entertaining or a snack. Pair with lightly toasted whole grain pita bread, crisp veggies, feta cheese, stuffed grape leaves and a selection of olives.
Ingredient Options: Add minced chipotle peppers (canned), roasted red peppers and cilantro. Add toasted pine nuts. Substitute garbanzo beans with cannellini beans. Season with thyme.
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 (15 oz.) can no-salt-added garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste)
- 3 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 5 teaspoons of reduced-sodium tamari soy sauce
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons ground coriander
- cayenne pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
Put garlic in food processor and pulse to roughly chop. Add garbanzos, tahini, 3 tablespoons of water (more if needed), lemon juice, tamari, cumin, coriander and a pinch of cayenne (add more later to increase the heat) and process until creamy and smooth. Transfer to a bowl, cover and chill for at least one hour. Before serving, let hummus come to room temperature. Stir in the parsley and serve.