Minty Cucumber-Quinoa Salad
By Whole Foods Market
Nutty, quick-cooking quinoa is a wonderful grain to use in this salad, but you could also use 3 1/2 cups of another cooked grain: barley, wheat berries or bulgur would work well.
- 1 1/4 cup quinoa, well rinsed
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar or honey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large (1-pound) seedless English cucumber, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
Combine quinoa and 2 1/4 cups water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover the pan and simmer until quinoa is tender and a white "tail" appears around each grain, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, 5 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl and cool.
In a large bowl, whisk together lemon juice, lime juice, agave, garlic, salt and pepper. Add quinoa, cucumber, onion and mint, and toss to combine.
PER SERVING:170 calories (20 from fat), 2g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 105mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (4g dietary fiber, 7g sugar), 6g protein