Tango Beet Salad for Two
By Louis Van Amstel
Professional dancer Louis Van Amstel's favorite beet and steak salad has plenty of kick and tons of flavor that will surely bring you back to center stage! Try mixing it up between raw or cooked beets for variety or switch the protein for a new partner pairing.
- 1/2 head of red and green butter lettuce, torn by hand into edible pieces
- 1/2 medium red beet, sliced (can be raw or cooked)
- 1/2 medium yellow beet, sliced (can be raw or cooked)
- 3 radishes, sliced thin
- 4 to 6 oz medium rare steak, sliced thin (can replace with chicken, tempeh or gorgonzola cheese)
- 1 tablespoon of champagne vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground horseradish root (or cream)
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- pinch of salt and pepper to taste
Place the greens in the bottom of two bowls so the leaves drape over the rim. Arrange the beet and radish slices over the greens. In a separate bowl, combine the vinegar, horseradish, parsley, mustard, honey, oil and seasonings then whisk until emulsified. Pour the vinaigrette over the beets and greens. Add sliced steak, chicken, tempeh or gorgonzola over the top and serve while sitting or dancing.