Winter Four-Bean Salad
By Whole Foods Market
Serves 6 to 8
The different colors and textures of the beans and lentils in this recipe produce a wonderfully satisfying salad. Bean salads tend to absorb flavors as they sit, so taste the salad before serving and add more vinegar or black pepper if necessary.
- 1/2 cup dried black lentils, rinsed and picked through
- 1 1/2 cup frozen shelled edamame
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added kidney beans
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added cannellini beans
- 3 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
Combine lentils and 2 1/2 cups water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer until tender but not mushy, about 20 minutes. Drain well and transfer to a large bowl.
In the same saucepan, add another 2 1/2 cups water and bring to a boil. Add edamame and simmer 5 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold water and add to the bowl with lentils. Add kidney beans and cannellini beans.
In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, garlic, thyme, agave, salt and pepper. Pour over salad and toss to coat. Stir in parsley and pumpkin seeds; let sit at least 10 minutes for flavors to blend. The salad will keep refrigerated up to 3 days.
PER SERVING:230 calories (35 from fat), 4g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 40mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (10g dietary fiber, 3g sugar), 15g protein