Grillin' for Gardens BBQ
Sherman Oaks West, Sherman Oaks, CA; Arden Whole Foods Market, Sacramento, CA
- Host on-site BBQs or cookout to raise funds for WKF
- Incentivize customers to join in by raffling off a prize donated by a community partner.
Wendy Camacho, Marketing Team Leader at Sherman Oaks, put together this successful event with the help of community donations and by keeping cookout ingredients simple.
The team sold burger plates—which included a burger, salad, drink and entry to win—for $5 and raised $299 in one day.
A local car dealership, Galpin Ford, donated two 4-day weekend Luxury car Rentals to be raffled off at the BBQ.
Events like this can be promoted through social media and store displays. In promotion of and at the event, information that may be useful to display includes what makes WKF great, like:
- 100% of donates directly support WKF
- Kids with a salad bar at their school eat 3x the veggies and fruits as kids without
- School gardens combat 6 out of 8 factors that lead to childhood obesity
- WKF’s Healthy Teachers Program empowers teachers to be the best role model for your kids
- WKF Team Members at your store have donated over $$$ to WKF through their paychecks. Help grow these funds!
- ###% of Team Members at this store give to WKF from their paychekcs. That’s how much we believe in growing healthy kids!
- Schools in your community who have received grants from WKF (These schools can be found here).
- Schools with whom you’re starting a relationship
- Your store’s fundraising goal and current donation status
- Other information that will help connect guests to WKF and your store’s goals
Community partners, like Galpin Ford, are happy to provide support when given advance notice. Ask around, and you’ll be surprised with how many organizations are willing to support children’s nutrition!
Overall labor consists of setting up and breaking down, which any Team Member can help out with. Teaming up with store TMs allows for collaboration and division of tasks. Be sure to:
- Choose a date that works for all the stores and TMs involved
- Plan a menu and cost out ingredients (This event’s only costs were the ingredients—it’s always great to ask suppliers to donate product for fundraising events too!)
- Divide tasks and get it done as a team!
Other BBQ Fundraiser Successes
Arden Whole Foods Market in Sacramento, CA sold hot-off-the-grill burgers paired with locally-made all natural sodas for $5. The event was promoted via social media and even got mention in a Yelp! review!
Labor Hours Invested: 9 total (staffing for BBQ booth)
Materials Cost: $100 in transfers for cheese, toppings and condiments (100% of the ground beef, sodas and buns were donated via vendor partnerships)
Total Raised: $750 in BBQ sales (in just 3 hours!!)
BACK TO ALL TEAM MEMBER RESOURCES