Professional surfer Paige Alms shares her all-time favorite salad recipe, which feaures nutritionally dense kale leaves. "I grew up with a salad bar at school and understand how important having access to fresh fruits and veggies is to overall good health,” Paige says.
- 1 head of kale, rinsed and stems removed
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup cucumber, chopped
- 1/2 cup purple cabbage, chopped
- 3 yellow carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup strawberries
- 4–6 oz grilled chicken (fish or tempeh can also be used)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
Combine the oil, vinegars and garlic in a bowl and toss the kale in the mixture. Massage the kale leaves to open up the cells and reduce the bitterness. Toss in the avocado, fruit and vegetables until lightly coated with the dressing. Top off the salad with your protein of choice. Enjoy beach side in a large shared bowl or at home shared with friends and family.