- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and seeded and cut into chunks (this should be about 7-8 cups and you can use frozen instead)
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 5 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk
- Vegetable stock as needed
- 1 cup of frozen chopped spinach (optional)
- 12 ounces dried macaroni pasta, cooked
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (panko, if possible)
Sauté the onion using the water method until caramelized, then add the butternut squash and garlic and continue to cook until soft. Add the nutritional yeast, paprika, and non-dairy milk and stir until mixed.
Blend the butternut squash mix in a blender, food processor or immersion blender until smooth adding more non-dairy milk or vegetable broth as needed to get desired texture. Stir in the frozen spinach and set sauce aside.
Mix the sauce into the macaroni and pour the entire mixture into a 12 by 9 inch casserole dish. Top with enough breadcrumbs to cover. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 for 40 minutes and serve.