Let kids help with the simple steps in bold!
- 1 cup brown basmati rice (or any type of long grain brown rice)
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, cut into small cubes or matchsticks
- 3/4 cups fresh cherries, pitted and chopped
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
Step 1: Put rice in a large bowl, rinse it thoroughly, leave it in the bowl and fill with enough water to cover rice, then set aside to soak for approx. 30 minutes while preparing the other ingredients.
Step 2: Warm oil in a medium stock pot, then add onions and carrots and sauté 3-5 minutes until they begin to soften.
Step 3: Drain rice and add it to the pot along with the vegetables. Add the stock to the pot. Stir, cover and bring to a simmer for about 40 minutes until rice is tender and all water is absorbed. Step 4: Stir in cherries, almonds, parsley, salt and pepper to taste, and serve hot.