Grilled veggies add flavor and substance to this popular salad. It makes a wonderful light meal on its own, or serve it alongside a simple main course such as grilled fish or chicken.
- 2 bell peppers (any colors), quartered
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 3/4-inch-thick rounds
- 1 small zucchini, cut lengthwise into 3/4-inch-thick slices
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- 2 large slices sourdough bread
- 2 cloves garlic, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon light mayonnaise
- 3 anchovies, finely chopped (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 8 cups sliced romaine lettuce (from about 1 large head)
Prepare grill for medium-high-heat cooking. Drizzle bell peppers, eggplant and zucchini with 2 teaspoons oil and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Grill the vegetables, turning frequently, until browned and tender, about 8 minutes. Set aside. Brush bread slices on both sides with 1 teaspoon oil and grill until browned, about 1 minute on each side. Split one garlic cloves and use it to rub bread slices all over; discard garlic. Cut grilled bread into cubes and set aside.
Meanwhile, finely chop remaining garlic clove and place it in a large bowl. Add lemon juice, mayonnaise, anchovies (if using), pepper, remaining 2 tablespoons oil and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt to bowl and whisk until combined. Whisk in Parmesan. Add lettuce and toss until combined. Chop vegetables into bite-size pieces and toss with lettuce. Sprinkle salad with remaining 1 tablespoon Parmesan and croutons.
Per Serving: 270 calories (100 from fat), 11g total fat, 2.5g saturated fat, 5mg cholesterol, 650mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (7g dietary fiber, 7g sugar), 10g protein