Pack this colorful salad for lunch or a picnic. Also use this concept as a starting point for making your own colorful combinations with your favorite ingredients.
- 1 1/2 cups cooked pinto beans (from 1 15-ounce can)
- 1 cup cooked long-grain brown rice
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 2/3 cup fresh or frozen and thawed corn
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped spinach or chopped romaine
- 1/2 cup chopped purple cabbage
- Dressing of your choice, packed separately
Layer beans, rice, tomato, avocado, lime juice, corn, cilantro, pumpkin seeds, spinach and purple cabbage in two wide-mouth jars. Layering ingredients in this particular order helps keep them fresh and in their best condition. Top with tight-fitting lids and chill until ready to serve. When ready to eat, add dressing and gently shake to combine.