Add this gravy to your favorite whole grains or mashed potatoes.
1 cup chopped white onion
3 1/4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 cup cremini mushrooms, cleaned, trimmed and chopped
1 cup mixed wild mushrooms, cleaned, trimmed and chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
1/4 cup Merlot or other spicy red wine
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons whole wheat or spelt flour, more if needed
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, bring 1⁄2 cup broth to a simmer. Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is translucent, about 4 minutes.
2. Stir in mushrooms, thyme and rosemary and continue to cook about 2 minutes or until mushrooms release their liquid and start to become tender.
3. Add wine and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in remaining 3 cups broth and bring to a simmer.
4. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together tamari, yeast and flour to form a thick paste. Add mixture to skillet about 1 teaspoon at a time, whisking constantly to make sure paste dissolves.
5. Bring to a boil and boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add pepper. If gravy is too thin for your taste, whisk in a tablespoon of flour to thicken it. Serve immediately.