Serve up this healthy soup for Halloween!
- 2 Tbl olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 ½ cup celery (about 3 stalks), chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 14.5 oz can dice tomatoes
- 32 oz vegetable stock
- 15.8 oz can white beans (great northern), drained and rinsed
- 1 white potato sliced into ¼-inch rounds
- 1 sweet potato, sliced into ¼-inch rounds
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
1. Sautee the onion, celery, and carrots in the olive oil until the onions become translucent. Add the garlic, salt, and pepper and stir and cook for 2 minutes.
2. Then add the tomatoes and vegetable stock and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
3. To prepare the sweet potato jack-o-lanterns and potato ghosts, use a metal straw, paring knife and/or a cookie cutter to shape the potato rounds into fun Halloween shapes.
4. Chop up the remaining “potato scraps” and add them to the soup along with the potato jack-o-lanterns and ghosts.
5. Next, add the green beans and can of white beans.
6. Simmer for an additional 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft. Top with the parsley and serve!